home :: issues :: expo :: video :: advertising :: subscribe :: links :: contacts



N.24 October 2009




Postal History ENG 
The Stamps of Clipperton Island


The island is named after the English mutineer and pirate John Clipperton, who made it his hideout in 1705. The French claimed Clipperton in 1855, but Mexican forces invaded in 1897 and stationed troops there until 1917. In 1930, the island again came under French rule. The first stamps were printed in March 1895 in San Francisco by the local agents of the Oceanic Phosphate Company that was operating the guano business on Clipperton Island from 1893 to October 1897. By Wolfgang Baldus.


(836.25 Kb)



The Postal Gazette - Strada Cantonale - 6818 Melano, Svizzera
Tel. +4191.9240010 Fax +4191.9240011 Email info@thepostalgazette.com
Webmaster Marco Occhipinti